2016 Playlist




Back in my November Favourites, I mentioned that I've started using Spotify Premium. I didn't really use it that much until I switched from the iPhone 5c to the Samsung Galaxy S7 last month. Now I have loads more storage for saving my favourite tracks.

I've always been guilty of listening to the same music over and over, and not trying anything new because that would involve buying new music or stealing people's CDs to burn. In the past month I've really got into using Spotify, and out of my old lady funk. So, here's a list of tracks that I've been loving lately!

(Disclaimer: none of these tracks are really new releases, but most of them are new to me!)


The Flood - Katie Melua
I was listening to Radio 2 one morning when Ken Bruce played this track. I used to love Closest Thing to Crazy when I was a kid (still do), but had never really listened to anything else by her. I love this song, I love the swell of the chorus and the dramaticness of the instrumentation, whilst still maintaining itself as a pretty chilled out track.

Fake You Out - Twenty One Pilots
My boyfriend, Kris, got me into this track. He's been listening to them loads recently because he's seeing them at Reading later in the year. I'd had a quick listen to them myself and thought they were okay, but then heard this track on Kris' playlist and absolutely loved it.

Raging - Kygo
Another one that I got from listening to Radio 2. It was played quite frequently for a few weeks but every time I wasn't paying attention when they said what the track was called. I finally paid attention and swiftly added it to my playlist!

Return to the Moon - EL VY
This one has a funny origin story. Kris and I were shopping and happened to be in Next because I had a voucher from my birthday. We both went off to try on clothes and met up after. I commented on the quality of Next's in store playlist whilst I was trying on clothes, a shop that I don't usually associate with my kind of music. I said Return to the Moon reminded me of The National. Kris then admitted that he'd Shazamed it in the changing rooms because he liked it too, and worked out it was Matt Berninger's side project. So of course it reminded me of The National! It's like their more upbeat sister, and the rest of the album is good too.

I'm on Fire - The Staves
I saw The Staves live back in 2012 when they were supporting Bon Iver. I bought their first album, but never got around to listening to the second. I love this song; it's a cover of Bruce Springsteen. I didn't realise this at first, but then got suspicious that I magically knew all of the words after the first listen! I think I prefer it to the original, if I'm quite honest.

You and I, Part II - Fleetwood Mac
A slightly less popular choice, but I think Tango in the Night is my favourite Fleetwood Mac album. This isn't even my favourite track off the album, but I had to include it. The reason is because this always seems to come up on shuffle when I'm anxious. It's hilarious thinking of the times that I've been borderline panic attack then this jazzy little number comes on!

Independent Woman, Pt. 1 - Destiny's Child
Erm, it's a classic. I have a habit of saying 'question' before I ask a question, and whenever I do it in front of my sister she always responds with "tell me what you think about me". I've taught her well. I also have Bootylicious on my playlist, as well as Stevie Nicks' Edge of Seventeen so I can play guess the song from the intro.

Lush Life - Zara Larsson
Kris calls this one "Topshop music". It's so catchy! I think this gets the most play out of anything else on this list, because I never get bored of it.

Aviation - The Last Shadow Puppets
I listen to a lot of the Arctic Monkeys, so try to wean myself off them from time to time. The Last Shadow Puppets is still Alex Turner, but different enough to feel like a change. A really catchy song off their new album!

Soul Meets Body - Death Cab for Cutie
An oldie, but a goodie. This got a lot of airplay when I was at university, and it instantly just makes me feel more chill and content.

Down Side of Me - CHVRCHES
Another band that remind me of being at university. I need to listen to this album more, because the tracks that I've got on my playlists are so good!

Magnets - Disclosure feat. Lorde
This song makes me want to slink around; the beat is just so sexy. I've barely listened to anything by Lorde besides Royals, so this one really had me hooked.

Nirvana - Squeeze
I think this was a Radio 2 track of the week a while back. It's like a more jolly hypnotic version of the Squeeze we all remember. I keep coming back to it; it's a great return to form!

Whenever, Wherever - Shakira
This track crept in due to me constantly listening to the All out 00s playlist on Spotify. I don't really know what to say other than who doesn't love this song? It's so hard not to sing along if I have this on at work!


What music have you been listening to recently?

No comments