Reading Round Up 2016 - Part 2




It's time for another reading round up! Partially thanks to Audible, I've really upped my reading this year. I extended my Goodreads target to 35 books and have beaten it already! And yet it doesn't feel like I'm reading enough. I've read a lot of shorter books this year, partially due to the fact that I've read a lot of kids books. High brow literature, no, but definitely a lot of fun!
You can catch up with what else I've read so far in 2016 here, and 2015 here and here, if you fancy a nosy. 


A Court of Mist and Fury 
I still can't make my mind up about this book. I absolutely adore Sarah J Maas' Throne of Glass series, but the more I think about the Court of Thorns and Roses series, the more I dislike it. I did enjoy reading this book, but I still have my reservations. Plot = great, execution = questionable. You can read my full review here.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince 
On with my listen through of the Harry Potter audiobooks! No questions here, an immediate 5 star rating!

The Princess Diaries ★ 
I bought the first book because it was 99p on the Kindle Store and because for some reason, I'd never read it (even though I adore the film). Cut to me reading all 10 books one after another. Total early 00s nostalgia. I am definitely too old for them, but it didn't stop me from loving them! I think Mia was completely realistic for a girl of her age (minus the princess of Genovia element) and makes me dread to think that I was probably that annoying (if not worse) at 15 too...

Bob's Burgers: Medium Rare 
I bought this for Kris whilst I was in Hay-on-Wye, then ended up sneakily reading it myself. I loved comics as a kid, but the only ones I really hold onto these days are the Asterix books. I really enjoyed the change of scenery for me, and wish I could get my hands on more! Bob's Burgers is definitely one of my favourite tv shows.

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child 
As a book, I enjoyed Cursed Child. But as a Harry Potter book, I'm not too sure. It still feels like fanfiction to me (probably because it technically is). It was an enjoyable read, but I don't think reading a script can compare to watching it live on stage. Which is why I'm so glad I managed to get tickets! You can read my full review here.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 
See above review of HBP...

Sammy's Hill 
I bought this forever ago. It was just there on my shelf making me feel guilty. Written by the daughter of former Vice President Al Gore (a woman who's written for the likes of SNL and Futurama) this is chick-lit turned political comedy. Not exactly high-brow fiction but a fun read!

The Fry Chronicles 
I really struggle to read memoirs and autobiographies. Even though they interest me, I just can't get through them as quickly as other types of books. Which is why Audible is perfect, because listening to a well known figure read their autobiography is just like listening to an interview. An 8 hour interview. I've owned The Fry Chronicles in hardback for years, but barely got past the first chapter. Listening to Stephen Fry talk about his life however, was fascinating.

Short Stories From Hogwarts 
I was a bit hesitant with buying these ebooks because I worried it was churning out stuff from the old Pottermore website. How wrong I was! There's so much insight into characters, places and items in the wizarding world. You get so much backstory as Rowling fleshes out her universe. It just left me craving more!

Is it Just me? 
I do love Miranda; she just exudes happiness. I hadn't really considered reading this until I saw something about how she suffered from agoraphobia in her early 20s. This is something that isn't really covered in this book, although she does cover her hypochondria (which is v. relatable). She covers her teenage years, up until starting comedy and beyond. All in all, the book is interesting and full of light-hearted humour!


What have you been reading recently?

No comments