Ghosts of Makeup Past


I'm very bad with use by dates on makeup. I'm also bad at throwing things out if I don't use them any more. Lurking in my bedroom are my ghosts of makeup past...




I stalked my old Facebook photos in preparation for this post. I'm still cringing. I apologise to anyone who knew me from the age of 11 to 20. Or anyone who took photos of me. I have always loved makeup, but I probably had no idea what I was doing until about 2 years ago!

Of course I've included Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse in this post, because it would be terrible not to. I didn't have this when it first became popular, because they didn't do it pale enough for me! I remember girls smearing this on in the toilets at school! However, I probably used this right up until I was about 19/20, which is embarrassing. I still think it's a pretty decent foundation, although maybe a little bit drying.

I have loads of Agatha Ruiz de la Prada lip balms that I've picked up from holidays to Spain. These smell so strong! I was obsessed with the cherry one when I was about 13, then tutti frutti when I was a bit older (it smells like foam banana sweets). I have 5 tucked away in my makeup drawers, but they're starting to smell a bit off! I'm not planning on going back to Spain any time soon, so am waiting for someone to go and bring me one back to replace them. They're basically just flavoured vaseline, but I feel way too nostalgic not to have one in my life!

My eye makeup went one of two ways for many years - a hint of blue or a grey smokey eye (usually with loads of black eyeliner). The Rimmel trio is really rubbish, but I've thrown out the Avon one that I used to be obsessed with. I bought the Bourjois Smoky Eye Trio in Bleu Rock to use for May Ball in first year of university, and I honestly haven't used it since. It really worked with my pastel blue dress, but blue eyeshadow is a tricky one to pull off!

Represented by the eyeliner, because I don't own it anymore, is Benefit's BADgal Lash. This, along with the eyeliner and Dr Feelgood, were the first benefit products I owned. They came in a giftset, along with a mirror and makeup bag that I still use all of the time. I had a love hate relationship with this mascara. Yes, it was good, but for me it smudged like crazy! I'd end up with total panda eyes if my hand went anywhere near!




Does anyone else remember Ruby and Millie? I got this palette as a Christmas gift years ago and I still adore it! It's just such a shame that the packaging has gone so grubby, the rubber casing feels a bit sticky to me now! Unfortunately, the highlighting shade got smashed, but the others are still good. Unbelievably, the second from the right was the first product that I ever used for filling in my brows, back when I was about 17! I was into the 'strong brow' game early; I remember spending sixth form trying to grow my eyebrows out as much as I could!

I got my first Barry M Dazzle Dust at The Clothes Show when I was in year 10. It was the green one, and almost impossible to pull off (I remember that I used to experiment with it alone in my room, creating a massive Ziggy Stardust lightning bolt over my eye). A few years later I picked up a few more in shades that I could actually use. They don't get enough love really, because they are great (although a little messy).

I always loved No7 lipsticks (and still do, really). These two were my number one favourites for a long while - the first is the limited edition Poppy King lipstick in the shade Glamour, the second is called Starshell. To be honest, these both need throwing out but I want to find dupes first, as they've both been discontinued! I think I might have to take them to the MAC counter or something... (I have just realised that Poppy King is the name behind Lipstick Queen, so maybe I should try there first?)

After writing this post, I've come to realise that I should probably start throwing out some of my old makeup! Even though for many years my standard makeup routine was 'foundation, liquid eyeliner, pencil eyeliner, mascara, lipstick/lip balm', a lot of this makes me feel very nostalgic! As long as I don't go back and look at the photos, it's fine...

Are there any makeup products that make you feel nostalgic? 

No comments