A Quick Trip to Ikea: Updating My Dresser




I don't have a desk or a dressing table; I keep all my make up, hair and beauty bits on top of my chest of drawers. One day I want a dressing table with a drawer in it, so that I can tuck things away. But for now, I have this weird setup.

This weekend I went to Ikea and picked up a couple of things to make it a bit more organised. To me, it still looks a bit cluttered, but at least everything has its place. And I only spent £6.50!





The first thing I knew I had to pick up was a SKURAR Plant Pot (£2) to put my make up brushes in. I've seen these in other people's blogs and so knew that it was a good choice. Prior to this, I'd been using a venti frappuccino cup from Starbucks (in fact, you can see it sticking out the top of the pot in the photo). This new storage option also leaves space for any new brushes that I might buy, so now I have an excuse to go shopping! This also came in light pink and light green, which were both quite tempting. But I think white goes a lot better with my other stuff. I was a little bit unsure about whether to buy this or the Candle Holder in the same range, but I think this one is better because I can fit more brushes in it. I might put some sand or something in the bottom to make them sit a little higher. Either that or I'll buy the candle holder to put my smaller brushes in...

I also bought an ARV Side Plate (£2) in grey. I probably don't need this, but it was too pretty to ignore. I love the colour and the ruffled edging. I'm not sure if I'd want a set of these for my tableware, but it's lovely as a decorative piece!




This last item I can't actually find on the Ikea website (I think it's new) but as far as I know, it's an EKOL soap dish (£2.50). The underside is a matte dark grey colour, and I thought it was perfect for storing my every day jewellery items - as well as a weird scarab beetle trinket that one of my friends brought back from Egypt a million years ago. I'm always terrified of accidentally knocking pairs of earrings off my dresser, but if I store them away in my drawers I just know I'll forget to wear them!

My make up/beauty storage is a work in progress. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be satisfied until I can get myself a dressing table or desk. But then, you mark my words, it'll be the most organised dressing table that you've ever seen! I especially want somewhere to put my nail polish, because it feels like it takes up the most room. I just really like to buy nail polish, okay?

My rather vast nail polish collection...

No comments